martes, 26 de febrero de 2008

I Need a Syllabus

What can I say, after being fed a syllabus my whole life I am dying with out one right now. I started the University of Granada last week and I am not exactly clear on what I need to do for class so the go-to for confirmation would be my syllabus, but I don't have one!!! Rather than handing out a nice outline as to what needs to be done I have nothing. My teacher rambled off 5 books that we can choose to read from (I have the same teacher for both classes and the same 5 books are options in both classes). I have attempted to confirm a few times how we obtain our grade and here is what I have so far. There are no exams in either class (the Spaniards have to take an exam and the foreigners do not). Papers, not sure. I asked my teacher today and she told me I had to choose 2 of the 5 books to read and write a paper IF I WANT?!?! What does that mean? So I keep telling myself this is great, you don't have to torture yourself with papers but at the same time I am tortured by the fact that I really have no idea what my responsibilities are. More to come on this topic I am sure.

This Thursday is a holiday in Southern Spain so I decided last minute to use my day off and go to Portugal. I am taking an over-night bus to Lisbon and doing the same for my return. Yes, I love buses.

I also had another successful haircut last week. NO MULLET!!

Pablo Update:

I wanted to smack him last Saturday. I went to bed at 6 am on Friday and got up fairly early to meet with my friends Jessica and Tim (Actually I met them through Lauren and Jesse) at Noon. I spent all day with them and came home to rest. I found Half-Baked online (a nice resting movie), turned my lights off, and laid in bed only to have Pablo repeatedly come in my room, stare at me in the dark, unplug my computer cord, and continually attempt to shut my computer. I got annoyed with him and told him I was going to tell his mom, he begged me not to, but yet did not leave my room until he actually left the house. Although I often want to give him the slap he deserves, I actually kind of like him and usually after he annoys me I find it kind of funny. There has not been to much moaning lately and fits have been on a low.

On a more serious note I had a super awkward dinner on Sunday. Paqui called me to the kitchen to eat and Jesús was in there looking all angry. Paqui proceeds to tell me that Antonio and him where fighting about clothes, and he was eating and choked on something. This was proceeded by a nod from me and an uncomfortable silence in which I ate knowing that it would get worse because for some reason fighting about clothes makes Paqui upset. She cried about this a few months back when the girls had a fight regarding clothing. Jesús is not saying a word and I hear Paqui begin to sniffle while she is cleaning the dishes and I am thinking please tell me that is a runny nose. No, it was not a runny nose, she was starting to cry. Jesús made a poor attempt to console her and then left the kitchen so it was just the two of us. Well as some might know crying (and PDA) makes me uncomfortable because I don't know what to say, and that's in my own language. Now this is the sad part. She starts crying a lot and saying that no one thinks about her and she thinks about everyone and how the kids don't understand anything. Then she went on about all their father only picks them up to see them for an hour or so and then drops them off and how he never has to think about feeding the family, school, relations, and everything else that she worries about everyday. I really felt heartbroken at hearing this. She has mentioned the father before, but only to say that he more-or-less is useless as far as raising the kids go. I just felt so sad knowing that she puts so much effort into everything she does for her family and she feels like it means nothing to them. I attempted some Spanish comforting but I am sure that is was awful and felt even worse that what ever I said was no help at all.

No hay comentarios: